Skip to main content
WHY

Rent to Own?



We have all seen the signs or newspaper advertisements. "Rent to Own!". My first reaction is always "Why?".

There may be a situation or two where such an agreement makes sense. However, beware. And remember to keep asking yourself (as Buyer or Seller) --- "Why am I doing this?"

First, let's look at some Seller's pros and cons:

 - Pros: You have someone interested in the house who wants to purchase it at a later date

 - Cons: The person interested in the house cannot purchase right now. Red Flag!

 - Cons: The person interested in the house cannot purchase right now. Red Flag!

Yes, I said it twice.

Well, you say. What about the Buyer? Surely there must be an advantage to "rent to own".

 - Pros: You may have an opportunity to "lock in" a house until you are able to actually purchase via a mortgage or cash.

 - Cons: Read the fine print in your agreement. A Seller would have little incentive to offer you a "rent to own" deal.

In particular, one problem I see is that the buyer will most likely need cash for a down payment when they move forward with the purchase. If their rent is going towards the sale price, this does little to help the situation on settlement day.

What's the solution? 

For the Buyer ---- talk to a local Realtor and Lender. You'll be able to determine a fair market value for the home and also how much money you will need on settlement day, what your monthly payments will be, etc .... Ask your Realtor, Attorney, and Lender to review any "Rent to Own" agreement.

For the Seller ---- Ask the Buyer for a written explanation of how they will be able to purchase the home at a later date. Preferably, this should come from their lender. Perhaps they are acquiring money from some sort of legal settlement. Ask for proof of that. In other words, be cautious. Also, ask a local Realtor to help you determine the fair market value of your home.

And finally for both Buyer and Seller, another big risk is market value over time. What will the market be like in 18 months? No one knows. If the market changes a considerable amount either way, this could be big trouble. 

If the market goes in decline, it will affect the appraisal value and could potentially nullify a loan commitment. For the Seller, what if the market improves? Was this really the best you could do?

Bottom line is if you minimize risks, both the Buyer and Seller should have a much better chance of doing what the goal is. Transferring the home ownership from Seller to Buyer.




Popular posts from this blog

The Reluctant Real Estate Recruiter: Me?

The phone rings and it is the daughter of a friend. Or maybe an old highschool acquaintance. Neighbor. Past client. They are interested in doing what I do. Full of energy. Almost all of them tell me they watch most of the HGTV house buying/selling/flipping/designing shows. They love looking at houses.  I have to pause and remember what I promised myself a few years ago. When I first got into this business it wasn't long until my old brokerage asked me to mentor new real estate agents. The same demeanor that helps me form successful working relationships with clients today led to a thought that I would be a great ambassador for new Realtors 20+ years ago. Think again. The National Association of Realtors (NAR) announced that in 2023 they lost over 26,000* members. How does that happen? While there are some other factors (ie, selling real estate without being under the NAR umbrella, retirement, etc .. ) a reasonable assumption is an overwhelming majority of Realtors left the business

Trails and Parks: Do They "Upgrade" Your Home?

I have a vested interest in the community where I work and live . When hearing about plans for a park or trail, I listen. Not only do I use them, I have seen the positive impact public outdoor space can have  in local communities. Honest. Work experience influences how I think parks and walking trails affect a community. A deeper dive into the historical data complements my opinion.  Being in the real estate business, I'm often (almost always) thinking about home values . There are many items that affect market value. Negatives may include: Deferred or neglected maintenance Shoddy workmanship Outdated kitchens and bathrooms Crime rate Proven positives: Smart home improvements Updated kitchens and bathrooms Professional landscaping Parks and trails Speaking of crime , the National Association of Realtors reports: " ....recent studies have confirmed living near trails and greenways will likely raise your property value an average of 3-5% and sometimes even as high as 15%. There

When Is The Market Going To Change?

  I get asked the "when is the market going to change" question about twice a day. In fact, I think I've been asked that almost every day since I got into this business about 20 years ago. While I help people all over the globe, I'm hands-on in the area within about 90 minutes of Harrisburg. The thing with this location is that people * like living here *. Looking over my past client list - I am seeing some trends that (in my opinion) prove just how well-liked the 717 area code is. A number of my clients grew up in Pennsylvania. Then - they moved away, only to return. Their reasons are many but popular answers are the cost of living, community, and employment. This is a big reason we have a low inventory of homes. People want to live here.  Do I think there is going to be a shift? Yep! But nothing so drastic as seeing whole neighborhoods for sale like we saw in other parts of the country a few years ago. The reality is that the sellers I represent are able to take ad